In this fast-paced world, we all need to take some time to experience the joy of simple pleasures. It can be a great stress-reliever to take a few moments to enjoy the sensory indulgence of the beauty around us. Here are a few simple pleasures that you should experience at least once in your lifetime, preferably as often as possible.
- Smell freshly cut grass. This activity is a pleasure to the senses. It makes you feel like carefree summer has arrived, and brings you back to nature.
- Walk in the rain. Do this once and you will begin to make plans to do it again every time you see a rainy forecast. It is a beautiful feeling to have the rain fall on your face as you get outside for a stroll. Jump in a few puddles while you’re at it.
- Have a candlelit bubble bath. This enhances your feelings of sensuality. It brings you back to the basic pleasures of treating yourself gently and with care. Everyone deserves to feel this way!
- Watch the sun rise. Whether you stay up all night to watch this happen or simply wake up early enough to see it, make this an occasional part of your schedule. It is amazing to view.
- Swim in the ocean. Pools are fun, but swimming in the ocean feels like the way it is truly supposed to be. Even if you are doing more playing than swimming, it is a special feeling to splash around in the beauty of the ocean.
- Blast and sing your favorite song alone in the car. Don’t try this with other people, though, because it will be difficult to feel free enough and you risk annoying everyone. When you are driving alone, turn up your favorite song and sing like you are .
- Have a dance party. Whether you are doing this with your family or alone, there is no feeling like having a dance party at home. This is where you can be free to explore all your cheesy or funky dance moves to a variety of music.
- Wake up without an alarm clock. Many of us are constantly waking up early to get ready for jobs and extracurricular activities. Make sure you get at least a few mornings per month to sleep in and wake up when your body tells you to.
- Have a wrapping paper fight. Whether you are celebrating a birthday or Christmas, scrunch up all the wrapping paper and have a fight. For those of us who think we have to save used wrapping paper, this may go against everything we know, but you can always smooth it out later. This is a crazy little game that is fun enough to end up becoming a yearly tradition.
- Make a snow angel. This is not just for kids. If you live in a climate that is suitable for this activity, put on your snow pants and get to it. You will love how it feels to look at your completed snow angel and know that you created it.
Life is full of stress. It is time to have some fun, and take joy in the simple pleasures in life. Use these ideas to give you a head start in the direction of simple, joyful living.