Originally I was going to write a post today about our new bunny, Pippin. I promise that post will be coming next week. Something happened early in the morning, though, which I felt deserved more immediate attention.
At 3:20 a.m. on August 24, 2014 I woke up screaming. Our bedroom was completely dark but it felt like the bed was spinning and there was a sound like a freight train. 20 seconds later, the room became eerily quiet, followed by the sounds of people screaming in the distance.
“Are you okay?” Art asked me. I told him yes. “Is everyone okay?” He screamed to the house. No one answered. He screamed it three times before Devin replied, “We’re okay? Are you okay?” (Boo was in Portland, visiting friends and missed the whole thing).
Thank God Art had a flashlight in his nightstand drawer. This is what we saw:
I slid to the end of the bed and tried to step over some boxes to put on my clothes. I stepped right into a charley horse in my right calf. I started yelling and Art told me to sit down. “I can’t sit down!” I yelled. Finally the pain subsided and I got dressed.
Art and I had to move some things out of the way to get to our bedroom door. Then we cracked Devin’s door and helped him move some things out of the way so the dogs could get out.
Then we started assessing the damage. Here’s the front room:
As you can see, the flat screen was totalled. Art’s computer has a cracked screen, but otherwise good. Lost a lot of china in the china closet and almost all the glasses in the bar. The kitchen was a disaster. Lots of broken glass and some spilled soda on the floor. Since the dogs sleep in the kitchen, that was our first priority for cleanup.
While I was cleaning up and the kids were keeping the dogs calm, Art went around turning off gas and water and checking for dangers.
Next on my checklist was the bathroom:
One broken hand mirror on the floor. Otherwise just a lot of stuff to pick up. While I was straightening and putting things back in the medicine cabinet, I found a bottle of antacid that belonged in the hall closet. Didn’t even think before I opened the hall closet and everything in it fell on the floor. One more job to check off my list!!
Art cleaned up the bedroom enough so we could go back to bed by about 6:30 a.m. Devin and Willow went over to her house to check on her mom. No power at our house, so no TV, but we were too amped up to sleep. Art turned on a battery operated radio so we could find some relaxing music. The first song we heard (I kid you not) was AC/DC “You Shook Me All Night Long”. That was a good laugh!!
In the light of day, and after about 5 hours of sleep, there is a lot of cleanup left to do, but it could have been much worse. I am very grateful that none of us were injured and no serious damage was done. On to the aftershocks!!