Last week we had some very nice, warm weather in the valley. Monday it chilled down considerably and I got to thinking about warming up with some beans-n-ham-n-cornbread. That’s how we say it in our house, like it’s all one word. We even have a little song I used to sing when Boo and Bud were younger (you’ll have to set your own tune because I’m not singing it, LOL) Beans -n- ham -n- cornbread, doo, doo. Beans – n- ham -n- cornbread, doo, doo.
Anyway, it’s an easy recipe, but yummy and tummy-filling and very inexpensive.
Recipe: Crockpot Beans with Ham
Summary: A yummy slow cooker recipe and super easy
- 1 lb. dried beans (I use Great Northern beans, but you can use Navy beans or pintos also)
- 8 cups water
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 2 lb. smoked hamhocks
- Combine all ingredients in a 5 qt. or larger slow cooker.
- Cook 8 hours on high setting.
- Remove the ham hocks and let then cool slightly.
- Cut the meat off the bone and stir into the beans.
- Cook on high another 15 minutes.
- Serve with warm cornbread. You can find my sweet cornbread recipe here.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 8 hour(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4