I have always wanted to be more graceful. Not in a ballerina/ballroom dancer sort of way, although I can be quite a klutz. No, I mean a person living a grace filled life. Someone you are drawn to because she knows how to handle things without losing it. You just know you could cry on her shoulder and she wouldn’t complain that you got mascara on her best white shirt. Instead, she would dry your tears and leave you feeling like you could conquer the world. Do you know who I mean? I’m sure you have one or two friends like that. I know I do.
All references to Princess Grace aside, this post is about living life as a Jesus follower who has been touched by grace.
First, what is the Christian definition of grace? According to the NKJV:
For by grace are you saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God (Ephesians 2:8)
To me, grace is the gift of salvation God has given us. Not because we deserved it, but because He loves us so much. I don’t know about you, but for me, that’s a comfort. Nothing I do or don’t do can separate me from the love of God.
It’s freeing, in a way. We don’t have to worry so much about making a mistake.God’s grace makes me less fearful of taking the next step.
So How Do We Live a Grace Filled Life?
As Dr. R.C. Sproul said:
The Christian motivation for ethics is not merely to obey some abstract law or a list of rules; rather, our response is provoked by gratitude. (Tabletalk Magazine, March 2015)
To me that means we do what’s right, what God call us to do, not because we have to, but because we want to. Our obedience and service are our thank you to God.
- When we stay up late even though we have to work the next day, to listen to a friend who had a bad day, that is living a grace filled life.
- When I don’t fly off the handle, even though Art forgot the honey-dos I asked him to do, that is living a grace filled life.
- When we approach someone new, in church, or at work, just to be friendly, that is living a grace filled life.
- When we are nice to someone even though they are rude to us, that is living a grace filled life.
- A person living a grace filled life builds people up, she doesn’t tear them down. She avoids gossip and seeks out those who are hurting.
That’s the person I am working to be.
How can you live a grace filled life?