On workdays, my breakfasts are super simple. I usually either grab a protein bar and a yogurt, or make a quick cereal and yogurt parfait. But on my days off I LOVE a hot breakfast. I like to experiment with healthy egg recipes. My new favorite is this Scrambled Huevos Rancheros recipe.
Recipe: Scrambled Huevos Rancheros
Summary: A fresh twist on huevos rancheros
- 1 corn tortilla
- chili powder
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 baby bell peppers, chopped
- 1/3 can vegetarian chili
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp. salsa
- 1 Tbsp. sour cream
- Coat both sides of tortilla with cooking spray and sprinkle with chili powder.
- Heat over medium heat, flipping once, until warm.
- Remove to a warm plate.
- Coat skillet with cooking spray.
- Saute’ onions and peppers for 3-4 minutes, until they start to soften.
- Add vegetarian chili, cumin and chili powder.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour the mixture over the tortilla.
- Coat the skillet with cooking spray again.
- Beat the egg and add to the pan, cooking over medium heat while constantly stirring, until set.
- Spoon egg on top of veggie and bean mixture and garnish with salsa and sour cream.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 1