One of my all time favorite soups is minestrone. The only problem is that the canned version has quite a bit of salt. Also, Boo is a vegetarian and most canned minestrone has a beef broth for a base. I decided it would be fun to fool around with what I had on hand and make my own take on vegetarian minestrone soup.
Recipe: Crockpot Vegetarian Minestrone Soup
Summary: Just put it in the crockpot and walk away – I dare you!!
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4-5 baby bell peppers in various colors, chopped
- 1 can (15 oz). sliced carrots (no salt added)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 can (15 oz.) sliced potatoes (no salt added)
- 2 cups diced zucchini
- 1 can (15 oz.) cut green beans (no salt added)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 can (15 oz.) cannellini beans (no salt added)
- 1 can (15 oz.) red kidney beans (no salt added)
- 1 can (15 oz.) diced Italian-style stewed tomatoes (no salt added)
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup salad macaroni
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried sage
- grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine all the ingredients, except the Parmesan cheese and macaroni in the slow cooker (you will need a 4-6t qt size for this recipe).
- Simmer on low 10-12 hours. Add macaroni during last hour.
- Sprinkle with 1 tsp. of grated Parmesan cheese per serving.
Preparation time: 45 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: Italian
This soup pairs well with my Cheesy Herb Bread.