Sure you've heard of Black Friday and Cyber Monday, but have you heard of Giving Tuesday?
Next Tuesday, November 27th, has been designated as Giving Tuesday. On this day people everywhere will come together with one common purpose - to celebrate giving and encourage more, better and smarter giving during the holiday season.
“It's not how much we give but how much love we put into giving.”
― Mother Teresa
Giving Tuesday is not a charity to donate to, but a call to action. How can we give back and focus on "the reason for the season" instead of the glitz and gifts?
Just a few of the partners involved are:
- American Red Cross
What can you do to help?
Here are some ideas:
- Donate to your favorite charity
- Hold a coat or blanket drive in your neighborhood, then take the donations to your local clothes closet or homeless shelter.
- Have a bake sale and donate the proceeds to your favorite charity.
- Don't forget our four-legged friends!! Why not gather some supplies to donate to your local animal shelter?
- Don't forget you don't have to be rich to give!! A random act of kindness is a gift that the recipient will cherish for a lifetime.
For my part, since our local food bank was such a big help to our family this last year, we will be gathering non-perishable food items to donate.
Many families have the tradition to wake up super early (or stay up all night) to go shopping together on Black Friday. Why not start a new family tradition of generosity on Giving Tuesday.
What are your plans for Giving Tuesday? How will you give back? Please leave your comments below.