Chickpeas, or garbanzo beans are one of those foods you either love or you hate. Art calls them “garbage beans”. I, however, am a huge fan of the little legume. Following is one of my favorite recipes for chickpeas, adapted from Sparkpeople.com
Recipe: Chickpea Stew
Summary: A hearty, easy vegetarian stew
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 medium potato, cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 1/2 cup chickpeas (canned or cooked)
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- Saute’ potato cubes in olive oil medium heat, until cooked through.
- Add tomatoes and chickpeas and cook until everything is well-heated.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 1
Fat: 10 gms
Protein: 23 gms
Here’s a photo of Kiff – the Unexpected Corgle, when he first arrived at our house in November 2011:
And here’s a pic of Kiff now:
He weighs about 18 pounds – and is about 5 months old.
Here are a few things we’ve learned about him in the last few months:
- He’s a chick magnet. Seriously. Wherever we go with him, girls flock to him, say “he’s so cute!” and ask about him. Again – mother part beagle, part corgi; father unknown. Now that he’s a little bigger if there’s any dog experts out there who have a guess as to his father’s breed, please feel free to comment.
- He loves to lay in the sun – especially the patch of sun by the front door.
- He likes to eat paper – specifically toilet paper or kleenex, although he also has a tendency towards toilet paper tubes and dixie cups. We’ve trained him not to knock over garbage cans so as long as no paper hits the floor, it’s all good.
- He loves to lie on his back. Sometimes he falls asleep in this position with his eyes open.
- We love him so much and are so happy he came into our lives!!